We loved our trip last year so much we decided to do it again. This time we invited a friend of mine, Brent Olsen and his son Dallin. We actually invited a lot of people because I often get people referencing my trip last year and how they wanted to go, but schedules and jobs got in the way so it was just the four of us.

I am ever the over preparer and had a bit of trouble slimming our gear down to what would fit in our kayaks. As it was, I ended up strapping gear to my paddle board and towing it behind me.

Jonah and Dallin ready to go.


Brent and Dallin enjoying a break in the mist. The day started with a thick marine layer over the bay and 5-8 MPH winds at around 59 degrees--a bit chilly. But the sun burned off the mist about halfway across the bay and we got some sun.


There's a story told of the gruesome happenings in days gone by of Hog's Island ask Jonah or Dallin when you see them. Luckily the old man with his gun wasn't out as we paddled by. ( Brent made up a story about the island that the boys latched onto and I added some morbidity to keep it in the "camping scary story" genre.




The following are pictures that Jonah took as we were setting up camp. He really had a knack for taking pictures up awkward angles of us that were not very flattering, (lots of us bending over tents and gear and such), I have spared you those and shared some of the more promising-career encouraging pics. :) ( he told me "maybe I should take pictures for my job when I am a Daddy".

By Jonah

By Jonah - Dallon

By Jonah - The Marine Layer

By Jonah - Tamales Beach

By Jonah

By Jonah

By Jonah - A fun Self Shadow Portrait

By Jonah - Um, he's 6yrs old.

BY Jonah - He can cheese it with the best of them and he's got the arm reach photo thing down.

By Jonah

By Jonah - Our tent Going up

By Jonah

By Jonah - Brent and Dallin Working on their tent

By Jonah

By Jonah

By Jonah
It really is beautiful there, I had to stop and just look so often that Jonah started to complain:
"Dad what do you keep looking at?"
"Around, buddy, around."
"But at what?"
"Everything"
"Daaaad, tell me!"
" I did, everything. It's very pleasant here"
"You're weird Dad"
"Yep, but you still love me"

Jonah loved playing on the beach, finding creatures, touching jelly fish, ( "you can touch their tops" he said to Brent. I was going to go correct him when a guide from a kayaking outfitter relayed that they were in fact Moon Jellies and it was very difficult to get stung by them).




Poser


Brent Representing Shell Racing.


I really enjoyed paddling around the little cove we were camped at, very peaceful and breathtaking. The weather turned nice and the mist created canvases in the distance that were otherworldly.





Dallin was really good for his first time.






Brent tore it up for his second time out on the board.

Jonah discovered the he could make "rivers" by digging trenches down to the water, helping to drain the sand as the tide rolled out.







Jonesy also really enjoyed being buried.



A totem of coolness

"Dad, why did you put my beanie over my hood."

Great trip, and company, the paddle back got a little exciting. We had gale force winds pick up to the extent the we just paddled straight across the bay rather than up to our car. I ran the last couple of miles to the car after we spent an hour looking for me keys which happened to be right where I put them, wish I could remember where my "Safe Places" are.
3 comments:
What a fun adventure!!!
almost you tempt me to get a paddle board.....still thinking about it. :)
That sure does look like a fun family trip.
Post a Comment