Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Relay for Life


On Father's Day, a friend asked me if it was hard for me. It honestly wasn't because Father's Day was all about Daniel at our house. But a week later, I celebrated my dad at The American Cancer Society's Relay For Life. It was a special experience to be with hundreds of other people whose lives have been affected greatly by cancer like mine has. I teared up as I saw the people wearing "Survivor" T-shirts. I wished my dad could have been one of those. It is quite sobering when you realize that everyone has been touched by cancer in one way or another. I've really been missing my dad lately. I was recently asked what I would wish for if I could have anything and immediately I knew it would be for my dad to be here with us. It is truly a misconception that it gets easier as time goes by. This August will be three years since my dad passed away from pancreatic cancer and the heartache has only gotten worse as more time goes by. Ultimately though, I am so glad to have the knowledge from the Gospel of Jesus Christ restored by Him through His servant Joseph Smith, that through my faithfulness and obedience to God's commandments I will see my father again, and I will see my Father again. What a joyous day that will be! I am grateful that when sealed by the Holy Priesthood authority in the Temple of the Lord, FAMILIES ARE ETERNAL. Unlike so many temporal things here on the earth, the family is eternal and we can be bound together forever with them. This is so important. This earth life is not the end. Although we have difficult things to deal with in this life, it isn't only about this life. We have a Savior who lovingly provided a way for us to repent and follow Him so that we can live in Celestial Glory with our Heavenly Father and our eternal families forever. The work of saving souls continues after this earth life and I know my dad is doing God's work on the other side to help me and my siblings and my mom and many others to come unto Christ and to receive strength to do what God would have us do. I am so thankful to my parents for teaching me these truths and for the Holy Ghost to continuously testify to me of the truthfulness of these things.



Lea and Jonah wore pictures of my dad on their shirt with "I love my Grandpa" written underneath it.


It was great to have two of my children with me and to share this experience with them and with my mom.


Thanks to my Aunt Cheryl who sets up a booth and fundraises for Relay for Life every year!


Lea was able to decorate a bag dedicated to my dad.

Hundreds of these bags are made for loved ones who have died from cancer and at night they put a light in each one of them, illuminating the field. It is very touching.


We love you Dad and we think of you every day!

3 comments:

Erin Marriott said...

Wow, such a touching post. I teared up reading it. My mom had stage 4 melanoma about 9 years ago, and has been in remission for 5 years. It was a really hard, scary time for us, and I can't even imagine what you have gone through, Aleena. I think your strength is amazing, and you are such an example to your children. It must be heart wrenching to see all the families who have gone through so much with being affected in one way or another with cancer. Such a comrodary with those who have gone through the same thing. I haven't been on here in so long, I had so much to catch up on! Your family is beautiful, and is getting so big! I think Lea is looking more and more like you! Such a beautiful little girl.

Cheryl said...

I am glad you enjoyed your experience at the Relay for Life. It has touched me through the years but this year was very special with you and your mom and the kids there. Next year you havae to stay for the luminary ceremony. It is very cool. Fairfield is having theirs on july 23.
When you wrote about how much you miss your dad, it made my heart ache. I am so grateful for the gospel as well. It helps heal!!!
Thanks for coming to Relay!!! I hope you can come again next year.

Jennifer said...

Sending hugs your way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony.