Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Alcatraz

About a month ago Daniel and I went to see Alcatraz. As long as we and especially I have lived here this was a first and we had fun exploring this tourist attraction.
These first pictures were taken from the ferry on our way to the island of Alcatraz.



It is a shame that when the American Indians took over Alcatraz for a little over a year they defaced and destroyed many of the buildings there.

Typical cells of Alcatraz.






The views from Alcatraz are AMAZING!
The lighthouse.

There were only three men who successfully escaped from Alcatraz while inmates there. They dug a hole behind the cell wall with a spoon over many months until they reached the crawl space where the pipes were. Then they made a raft and paddles and they were never found again. They had made dummies of themselves to put in their beds to fool the guards and give them time to get away.


Here is the info on the "Indian Invasion".
























Even though I was sick I very much enjoyed spending this day with my husband and learning the fascinating things about Alcatraz.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved going out to Alcatraz! It looks like more things were open when you went.

Melissa B. said...

Alcatraz is pretty interesting. What a fun getaway with your hubby:)