Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Daniel and Aleena Boyer Family

Sunday, January 18, 2009

One car seat too many

For safety the law requires kids under 7 years of age to be in a car seat/booster. This means 1 car seat/booster too many for our little Vibe or Cherokee. We have struggled with three car seats on one bench seat on occasion and it is not something that we would like to endure.
So after some research, comparison and debate we decided to buy a mini-van. It came down to either a Dodge Grand Caravan or a Mazda 5. And the winner is...


Mazda 5


Pros
1. Fuel economy 22-28 mpg
2. 5 sp manual transmission (Aleena is humoring me in allowing me to include this as a pro)
3. Corners like a car (the one we purchased has the additional plus of some nice 18' rally wheels and tires that aid in its performance, along with some other aftermarket enhancements)
4. Fast/peppy
5. Cheap
6. Quiet and comfortable cabin



Cons
1. Limited trunk space
2. Only seats 6
3. Expensive tires to replace
4. Manual transmission
5. Can't tow... anything




We drove both cars and were just not quite ready to make the switch to a lumbering mini van. We decided on baby steps towards that end. The Mazda 5 gets good enough fuel economy that I can take it over in a few years when we retire Pontiac Vibe. At that point it would be nice to be able to afford a Tahoe/Suburban, or if not we will succumb to the full size mini van club.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Never thought I would enjoy a mini van so much, But I love it with infants! The sliding doors do it for me. Until I stop having babies, I am sticking with a mini van and then hopefully later on we will graduate to some kind of SRV. I just LOVE having duel sliding doors! Anyway, congrats on the new car.

Rebecca said...

You look cool! I never thought I'd be a mini-van person myself. I used to make fun of them, but the problem is, they're just way too practical! Darn it! With 4 kids, on a budget, it's really the only option. I just have to wear my sunglasses and try to be a wannabe cool person!

Anonymous said...

looks great. Ted claims we'll never get one...but, I think every Mormon couple says that at some point. I miss seeing you guys, but I'm glad you look so happy and you're keeping busy.
Love ya!

erin said...

you said it, peppy! dude, i would rather drive that than our little hondas! you look cool!

Lisa said...

I always vowed never to drive a minivan but what can you do...in the end practicality wins out over style. Hope you guys are doing well. Congratulations on the upcoming baby too! I'm so excited for you!!

Amberly said...

I found your blog from Natalie and Bruce's. It looks like you guys are really enjoying California. We miss you in the ward, but I glad things are going so well. Congratulations on another boy. That is so exciting!
Aleena, I am so sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Thank heavens we have the gospel, what great comfort it is to know you will see him again.
I hope to keep in touch.
Oh ya, congrats on the mini van...they are definitely the most practical when you have little ones!

Natalie said...

Yeah for mini vans! We just got rid of our 4-runner and our mini van is on it's way today. No more putting children in the front seat when carpooling. Yeah! Hope you guys enjoy your van and the extra room. Have you chosen a name for your little boy? Have a great day!